What to Expect at a Prenatal Chiropractor?
Visiting a prenatal chiropractor consistently throughout each trimester of pregnancy has a wide range of benefits, from alleviating morning sickness to reducing muscle fatigue.
The primary benefit of visiting a prenatal chiropractor is to adjust the position of the pelvis to the optimal birthing position, which reduces the risk of an invasive birthing procedure, shortens birthing time, and increases general comfort before, during, and after childbirth.
While your experience at a prenatal chiropractor will likely vary depending on your current condition, stage of pregnancy, and health conditions, there are some things universal to a visit. If you stop by Restore Chiropractic in Maple Grove, MN, expect this for your first-time prenatal chiropractic care experience.
How Does Prenatal Chiropractic Care Differ from Standard Chiropractic Care?
When searching for a chiropractic treatment center while pregnant, you need to make sure that the center specializes in prenatal chiropractic care. Lots of misleading information about the dangers of prenatal chiropractic care is spread around pregnancy groups incorrectly.
Specifically, many people erroneously believe that chiropractic care leads to miscarriage, preterm birth, and congenital disorders. On the rare chance a chiropractor messes up treatment, that may happen, but more than 99% of the time, those situations occur because of genetic factors, hormone imbalance, accidents, infections, and immune system responses.
While chiropractors have to be trained in prenatal chiropractic care before being certified, it doesn't mean they specialize in prenatal chiropractic care, nor have they taken the proper precautions and built up the right experience to care for pregnant women.
Before booking an appointment, call to see if your local chiropractic care center conducts the Webster technique and has adjustable tables for pregnant women to get adjusted on.
Your First Appointment at a Prenatal Chiropractic Care Center
If you've scheduled an appointment with a prenatal chiropractor for the first time, here is what to expect.
- Get Your Doctor's Permission: Prenatal chiropractic care is safe for all women, regardless of how far along they are. However, it is important to get permission before going, especially if you have an underlying health condition.
- The Chiropractor Will Get to Know You: While you share general information when you call to book an appointment or are in the waiting room, once you get to the treatment center and meet with your chiropractor, it is time to share more detailed information on how you are feeling. Tell them about your daily routine, pregnancy symptoms, aches, and pains. Also mention what specific issue needs to be fixed.
- You Will Undergo a Physical Assessment: To make sure that you will be given proper care and to formulate an effective treatment plan, your chiropractor needs to be aware of the alignment of your spine, your overall flexibility, and your pain points. Once your assessment is done, your chiropractor will share a tentative plan on what to focus on, and work on next, and let you know how often you need to come in.
- Your Adjustment Begins: Now that your prenatal chiropractor knows what areas need to be worked on, it is time to get started. Treatment can be any of the following things:
- Fixing Spine Alignment to Adjust for Additional Weight
- Improving the Pelvis Alignment to Obtain an Optimal Birthing Position
- Prevent In-Utero Constraints and Fix Birthing Position by Utilizing the Webster Technique
- Alleviate Muscle and Joint Pain by Focusing on Increasing Moverability in Certain Areas
- Reducing General Pregnancy Symptoms by Reducing Pain
Your appointment is now done, so don't forget to drink lots of water, eat, and get some rest!
The Leading Prenatal Chiropractic Care in Maple Grove, MN
Everyone's first experience at a prenatal chiropractor is unique because treatment should be catered specifically to your body.
Whether you are going to be a new mother or are adding another precious gift to your family, make sure your pregnancy goes smoothly with minimal complications by undergoing frequently scheduled chiropractic care sessions.
If you live in Hennepin County or the Minneapolis metro, fill out our new patient forms or reach out to us at 612-516-3090 with any questions about our services.