Effective Strategies to Improve Your Sleep
We all know what it’s like to wake up feeling tired, irritable, or just plain SLOW... and it’s NO fun. Not for you or the people around you.
The quality of your sleep starts slipping when stress rises, cortisol increases, and you can’t seem to turn your brain off or wind down for bed.
The good news?
There are MANY things you can do to COMBAT poor sleep, restless nights, and a tense nervous system. Read on to learn 10 effective strategies to help you get consistent, restorative sleep.😴
10 Tips For Better Sleep
1. Get adjusted! The health of your nervous system impacts the quality of your sleep. If the neural pathways between your brain and body aren’t working properly, you will have difficulty sleeping. Regular chiropractic adjustments bring calm to your nervous system and remove nerve interference which allows your body to rest, digest, and heal properly.
2. Sleep in a cool room. Aim for 60 – 67 degrees.
3. Keep your bedroom as dark as possible. Use blackout blinds, a sleep mask, and cover up any lights from alarm clocks, radios, or electronic devices.
4. Disconnect from devices at least one hour before bed. They emit blue light which stimulates your brain to stay awake and delays the release of melatonin (a sleep hormone).
5. Beware of Bright Lights. Once the sun goes down dim the lights in your home and wear blue light blocker glasses.
6. Have a consistent bedtime and wake time that gives you 7 – 9 hours of sleep each night. This helps set your circadian rhythm so you begin to get tired as the sun goes down and wake up feeling rested in the morning.
7. Use herbs and natural supplements to support your sleep. Chamomile tea, magnesium, and lavender essential oil works well.
8. Finish all exercise at least 2 hours before bed. Exercise releases cortisol, a stress hormone that will make it harder to fall asleep.
9. Finish your last meal or snack 2-3 hours before bed. Eating too close to bedtime prevents your body from detoxing and “cleaning house” the way it’s designed to because it has to divert energy digesting your food.
10. Charge your phone in a different room than your bedroom. Doing so removes the temptation to scroll before bed, which, let’s be honest, has stolen too many hours of precious sleep.
Story of Healing: Amanda
If you’ve ever struggled with chronic back pain, migraines, or poor sleep, Amanda’s story is sure to inspire you and give you HOPE!
When Amanda first came to Restore she had been suffering from back pain and migraines for 12 years. The pain in her back and head made it incredibly difficult to get a quality night’s sleep, so she lacked energy, had a hard time focusing at work, and had less patience to deal with family stress.
After only 1 MONTH of Torque Release Technique adjustments, Amanda was able to ditch her sleep meds, have plenty of energy to deal with family relationships, and think clearly at work because her back pain and headaches had decreased significantly!
Amanda wants you to know that “pain is NOT normal and you CAN find true healing with a little bit of patience and commitment.”
Ready to Wake Up Feeling Refreshed?
One of the BEST things you can do to help you FALL asleep quickly, STAY asleep, and get QUALTIY sleep is to make sure your nervous system is free of stress and nerve interference through chiropractic care. Then, add in some of the sleep hygiene tips we recommend to assure you get consistent, restorative sleep every night!
Schedule your appointment with us to get assessed and begin your journey to better sleep and health today!